A lighthouse is defined as a structure erected to carry lights for warning or guidance of ships or aircraft. Lighthouses are usually located in or adjacent to navigable waters. They are designed to serve as visual guides by day and to provide a light during the night to warn mariners of danger and to help them chart a safe course.
Identification by day is by the physical description of the structure of the lighthouse (example shape and colour). At nights, identification is by the characteristic flashes of the light. Many lighthouses are operated in conjunction with other navigational aids for example light buoys and beacons.
Although the earliest lighthouse was built in 1841, it was not until 1886, that a law was passed authorizing the construction of lighthouses for the purpose of supplying lights at various points on the coast of the island, for the benefit of seagoing and coastal vessels.
- Folly Point Lighthouse - The Folly Point Lighthouse was built in 1888. The Tower is constructed of masonry
- Galina Lighthouse - Near Port Maria, on the North Coast, is the Galina Lighthouse. The Tower which is built
- Lover's Leap Lighthouse - This Lighthouse was built by the Engineering Department of the Port Authority in
- Morant Point Lighthouse - The Morant Point Lighthouse built in 1841 is listed by the JNHT
- Negril Point Lighthouse - This Lighthouse is situated at south Negril Point which is at the extreme western
- Plumb Point Lighthouse - Plumb Point Lighthouse was built in 1853 eleven years after the construction of
- Portland Point Lighthouse - The Portland Point Lighthouse has the highest tower in the Island, standing