St. James Heritage Sites
Welcome to the JNHT St. James Heritage Sites.
- Flagstaff - Site of a small Maroon community and features considerably in the Maroons Wars which begun in 1795
- Salter's Hill Baptist - Voluntarily constructed by enslaved Africans in 1825
- St. James Parish Church - was built between 1775 and 1782.
- St. Mary's Anglican - situated on the Montpelier Estate, which dates back to the days of slavery.
- Historic Court House (Mobay) - Built in or around 1774, an important monument in St. James' history.
- Fort Montego - It housed four 12 pounder guns and five smaller guns.
- Goodwill - established after the abolition of slavery and in 1840 it was still in its infancy.
- Greenwood Great House - built in 1790 by The Barretts of Wimpole Street
- Rose Hall Great House - built in the mid 19th Century by George Ash for John Palmer, Custos of St. Thomas for £30,000.
- 1 King Street - the property at this location was formerly the Manse of the Burchell Baptist Church.
- Sam Sharpe Square -The square includes several heritage structures: the Sam Sharpe Monument, the Cage, the Civic Centre and the Freedom Monument and a fountain.
- Barnett Street Police Station - dates back to the late 19th century, constructed of cut stone
- Grove Hill House - built in the early 18th century. The house is a two storey Georgian structure
- Old Slave Ring - It is said that on this site prospective buyers viewed the slaves as they were paraded and auctioned.
- The Dome - erected over the source of the creek in Montego Bay.
- Town House - A keystone on the arch suggests that the Town House was built in 1776.
- North Coast Highway - a government initiative to improve the entire stretch of north coast road
- Anchovy Railway Station - erected around 1894, a two storey Jamaica/Georgian timber structure
- Cambridge Railway Station - built around 1894, a two-storey timber building
- Catadupa Railway Station - constructed in 1895, a two-storey Jamaica/Georgian timber structure
- Montego Bay Railway Station - built around 1894, a simple timber building.
- Montpelier Railway Station- a uniquely designed building which demonstrates Jamaica/Georgian architecture with Victorian elements.
- Burchell Memorial Church - The Church was established in 1824 with 12 members under the care of the