Colbeck Castle

Colbeck Castle

Colbeck Castle

Parish: St. Catherine

Archaeological Impact Assessment (AIA) Project

Jamaica National Heritage Trust (JNHT) received a letter from Edward Young Associates on October 26, 2006 re the development proposal of the area surrounding the Historic Monument of Colbeck Castle, Colbeck, St Catherine.

On February 13 & 19, 2007 team of archaeologist from the JNHT conducted an archaeological evaluation at the proposed site of the Colbeck Villages Development. The proposed development area is divided into 11 Zones by developer; Edward Young Associates.

The objectives of this archaeological appraisal were to:

  1. Ascertain the presence or absence of archaeological and historical contexts.
  2. Appraise their values
  3. Establish what impact the proposed development would have on them.

The proposed development area contains both prehistoric and historic sites. The area that encompasses Colbeck was settled by the Taíno, the Spanish and the English. According to the JNHT’s Sites and Monument Records there is a Taíno site located within Zone 1 of the proposed development. John Colbeck, a member of the invading English army in 1655, received a grant of 1,340 acres on which an estate was subsequently established. It is believed that the area was also used for military purposes.

The archaeological evaluation revealed several areas of archaeological interest. In Zone 6 an area of artefact assemblage was identified. The types of artifacts found included ceramics, earthenware, and olive green glass, all dating between the 18th and 19th century. In Zone 7 an artefact assemblage including Taíno, Spanish and Afro-Jamaican earthenware sherds was found. In addition there were red and white clay smoking pipes fragments.



Ever since the capture of Jamaica by the English from the Spanish in 1655, the need for fortification became immediate because of the...



The Morant Bay Courthouse, which was destroyed by fire on Monday, February 19, 2007, is an important part of St. Thomas's history.



Built in 1885 of masonry and timber, the Simms building exhibits a combination of Gothic and Georgian features; the projecting...