Parish: Westmoreland

Salem was born out of the need to relocate the Moravian congregation at New Hope in Westmoreland. The church building was but a small school-house which was in a state of disrepair. Added to this, new Hope had gained the reputation of being an unhealthy place. Hence, it seemed desirable, from every point of view, to remove the station to a better locality.

In 1860, A. B. Lind purchased from his own resources a property at Beeston Spring in Westmoreland. Beeston Spring estate was located a few miles to the north-east, and about 750 feet above sea level, and it contained many acres of splendid woodland. Lind sold back to the mission about forty acres for a mission station and then sub-divided and sold the rest to members of the church and to others. The people were delighted to have the opportunity of obtaining freeholds for themselves. The spring on the property was kept as a community water supply through a deed gift to the church by Lind on his retirement in 1891.

Soon after the purchase of the property the first building the cottage rose on the hill and preparation for the erection of a new church began. On January 9, 1863, in the presence of a large gathering, Bishop Cunow laid the foundation stone. Actual building operation did not begin until October 1865. After that, however, the work went steadily and by the end of 1867 the church was completed. The building was dedicated on January 30, 1868 and received the name of Salem. The congregation had contributed £275 in cash and gave their labour which valued over £300.




Ever since the capture of Jamaica by the English from the Spanish in 1655, the need for fortification became immediate because of the...



The Morant Bay Courthouse, which was destroyed by fire on Monday, February 19, 2007, is an important part of St. Thomas's history.



Built in 1885 of masonry and timber, the Simms building exhibits a combination of Gothic and Georgian features; the projecting...