St. Mary Heritage Sites

Welcome to the JNHT St. Mary Heritage Sites..

  • Rio Nuevo Taino Site - The largest Taino site in this area. It covers an area of some 21, 000 square metres.
  • Annotto Bay Baptist - Built in 1824, it was the first Baptist Church to be constructed in St. Mary.
  • Holy Trinity Anglican - beautiful historic Georgian building erected on land donated by Henry Rigg in 1828.
  • Fort Haldane - situated at Port Maria in the parish of St. Mary and was erected in 1759.
  • Fort Oracabessa - built during the War of Trade. Erected by John Allen in 1752
  • Brimmer Hall Great House - built during the 18th Century by the plantocracy during the days of slavery.
  • Prospect Great House - On the Prospect Estate is an early Eighteen Century Great House.
  • Quebec Great House - boasts basic Georgian features, such as symmetry and a central portico.
  • Galina Lighthouse - over 40 feet high. The light is approximately 60 feet above sea level.
  • Firefly House - originally called "Look Out" by famous pirate Henry Morgan as it was used for that purpose.
  • Harmony Hall House - Indicative of Jamaican-Georgian architectural style with its characteristic features of plantation houses in the nineteenth century
  • Castleton Botanical Garden - established on the 19th Nov 1862
  • Claude Stuart Park - In 1977 the Victoria Park in Port Maria, St. Mary was renamed the Claude Stuart Park.
  • Rio Nuevo Battle Site - the site of the final pitched battle between British and Spanish forces to determine possession of Jamaica.
  • Port Maria Court House - Originally built in 1821,this Georgian architecture housed the court house and police station until1988
  • Woodside - The community of Woodside is one of the Jamaican villages replete with history. It has connection to the Taíno, the plantation era and emancipation


Ever since the capture of Jamaica by the English from the Spanish in 1655, the need for fortification became immediate because of the...



The Morant Bay Courthouse, which was destroyed by fire on Monday, February 19, 2007, is an important part of St. Thomas's history.



Built in 1885 of masonry and timber, the Simms building exhibits a combination of Gothic and Georgian features; the projecting...