St. Catherine Heritage Sites
Welcome to the JNHT St. Catherine Heritage Sites..
- Flat Bridge - constructed after 1724, with piles and braces interlaced with masonry.
- Historic Cast Iron Bridge (Spanish Town) - erected in 1801, constructed with cut stone and is cast iron
- Mountain River Cave - first reported in 1897 by J. F. Duerden.
- Two Sisters Cave - located in the Hellshire Hills, St. Catherine.
- Jericho Baptist Church - erected in 1835, is of cut stone and brick construction.
- Mount Nebo Baptist - founded in 1837, the present building dates from the early twentieth century.
- Phillippo Baptist Church - erected in 1827, is named after the eminent Baptist Missionary James Phillippo.
- Spanish Town Cathedral - a.k.a. St. Catherine Parish Church, was built in the 2nd half of the 17th century.
- St. Dorothy's Anglican - constructed of cut stone, brick, mortar, and wood.
- Spanish Town Court House - Georgian building was erected at a cost of ₤15,700
- Old Police Station & Court House - After the historic Court House in Emancipation Square was gutted by fire, the site of the Old Police Station was refurbished. During this time, the special constables attached to the Spanish Town Police continued to operate out of the old police station.
- Fort Augusta - completed in the 1750s and named Fort Augusta in honour of the mother of King George III.
- Fort Small - built in 1782 to protect the bay between Port Henderson and the Hellshire Hills.
- Sligoville - the first Free Village in Jamaica.
- Hayfield House - excellent example of a modest Georgian residence adapted to the local climate.
- Highgate House - considered to be the oldest structure in the district of Sligoville.
- Thetford Great House - Colonel Thomas Fuller received the Thetford property as a reward for his role in the 1655 capture of Jamaica by the British.
- Spanish Town - built by the Spanish after Sevilla Nueva (New Seville) was abandoned, dates from 1534.
- Colbeck Castle - a massive stone and brick ruin with walls standing to their full original height.
- Colbeck Castle Development Proposal - At present Colbeck Castle lies in ruins.
- Bog Walk Gorge - Bog Walk is derived from the Spanish words Boca de Agua which means water's mouth.
- White Marl Taino Midden and Museum - was established in 1965 in memory of Dr. Randolph Howard
- Highway 2000 - Jamaica's first toll highway. It will be constructed in two phases.
- Old Harbour Bypass - 14.7 Kilometers of highway traverse the parishes of Clarendon and St. Catherine.
- Bog Walk Railway Station - constructed around 1895.
- Linstead Railway Station - built around 1885, boasts a very simple Jamaica/Georgian style of architecture.
- Old Harbour Railway Station - constructed around 1879, a two-storey Jamaica/Georgian structure.
- Riversdale Railway Station - erected around 1896, a two storey Jamaica/Georgian timber building
- Spanish Town Railway Station - built in 1845, a Jamaica/Georgian style brick building
- Bushy Park Aqueduct - built between 1760 and 1780 and was a part of the Bushy Park Sugar Estate factory works.